in

Google to contribute $25 million to fight fake news


Alphabet unit Google will contribute $25 million to the newly set up European Media and Information Fund to combat fake news, the company said on Wednesday, amid criticism tech giants are not doing enough to debunk online disinformation.

The Covid-19 pandemic and the US election last year spurred a massive spike in misinformation, with some blaming social media for not being more proactive in tackling the issue while regulators have indicated they may take action via heavy-handed restrictions.

Twitter grants academics full access to public data, but not for suspended accounts

The European Media and Information Fund, launched by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation and the European University Institute last week, aims to enlist researchers, fact-checkers, not-for-profits, and other public interest-oriented bodies to help in the fight against fake news.

Australian lawmakers expected to pass amendments to Facebook, Google law

“While navigating the uncertainty and challenges of the last year, it has proven more important than ever for people to access accurate information, and sort facts from fiction,” Matt Brittin, head of Google’s EMEA Business & Operations, said in a blog post.

The fund has a duration of five years. The European Digital Media Observatory, which is a European Commission project set up last year and whose members include fact-checkers and academic researchers, will evaluate and select the projects.





Source link

What do you think?

Written by Atif Hasnain

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Loading…

0

Arm Ltd debuts new chip technology

Coursera to raise about $519 million in US IPO